This recipe is from the blog Celebrating Sweets that I’ve adapted to our own creamy chocolate-y goodness that the kids absolutely LOVE!
HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE
This recipe is made with a combination of cocoa powder and chocolate chips. The cocoa powder adds the distinct “hot cocoa” flavor, and the chocolate chips melt into the mixture making this drink extra creamy, rich and luxurious. A splash of vanilla extract rounds out all that chocolaty flavor and makes this what I consider the perfect Homemade Hot Chocolate.
- Place the milk of your choice in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Using milk instead of water, makes this hot chocolate extra creamy and flavorful. I prefer whole milk or 2% milk, but you can choose any milk that you choose (I’ve even used unsweetened almond milk).
- Whisk in cocoa powder and sugar, and heat until warm.
- Once the milk is warm, add chocolate chips, whisking until they melt into the milk.
- Add a splash of vanilla extract.
- Serve immediately, topped with your favorite garnishes: marshmallows, whipped cream, chopped chocolate, crushed candy canes or more.
One of the wonderful things about making hot chocolate from scratch is that you can make it exactly the way you want it!
- Want it extra rich? Add some half and half.
- Want it less sweet? Use bittersweet/dark chocolate chips.
- Want it healthier? Use skim milk or almond milk, and reduce the sugar a touch.
- Want flavored hot chocolate? Add cinnamon, peppermint extract, a shot of espresso, or a drizzle of caramel sauce.
The best part is you can do whatever you want and make it your own. Want to kick it up a notch to feel some extra JOY this Christmas? Check out this other amazing Spiked Hot Chocolate recipe.
Thanks to MacKenzie Childs for sponsoring this post.
Leave a Reply